Monday, April 2, 2007

Capr Camp Cook Confidential

Being that this is Fish Camp Week and word has it that Fly Times is the “go to” fish camp cook in the West Seattle area. We've heard apocryphal tales coming out of the PNW for a while now, and then something reached the cabin that was glorious and righteous. Fly Times had created the bacon wrapped cinnamon roll. We flew a correspondent out to get the Old Timey Story.

1. How did this stroke of genius come up? It happened in camp on the Big Blackfoot. I was walking one way with tray of cinnamon rolls and my buddy Chet was walking the other way with a slab of bacon. We accidentally ran into each other and my cinnamon rolls got mixed up with his slab of bacon. "You got cinnamon rolls on my bacon!" "You got bacon on my cinnamon rolls!" That's when the light bulb went on. I thought to myself, "what if I warm up these cinnamon rolls on the griddle in a quarter inch or so of bacon grease?" So that's what I did. What if indeed, those were the best cinnamon roles ever?

2. Are they supermarket cinnamon rolls, bakery or homemade by Mrs. Fly Times? I use supermarket cinnamon rolls though I suppose any sort of cinnamon roll would work with the bacon grease masking any sort of imperfection in the roll.

3. What kind of griddle do you prefer? For the last few years I was using a Teflon coated aluminum griddle that fits on the top of my Weber Gas Go-Anywhere Portable Grill. Now I use a stainless steel griddle because that Teflon crap never lasts very long and it gives you cancer or something.

4. Real Bacon or Canadian? Thick sliced pepper bacon which I make from scratch. It's old family recipe, you take some slices of thick sliced bacon and put lots of pepper on 'em.

5. Does the topping go on over the roll or over the bacon? It seems that you've been misinformed; it's like chicken fried steak except that it’s a bacon fried cinnamon roll, there's no bacon on the roll.

6. What’s next at the campsite for WT? What other glorious ideas are stirring? Something with Krusteaz biscuit mix and a can of sweetened condensed milk. First you put a can of sweetened condensed milk into a simmering pot of water and boil it for 2 or 3 hours. Then you cook up some biscuits on the griddle. After the can of milk has cooled for a little while you punch some holes in it and pour the contents on your biscuits. What you gonna get is camp pastries covered in camp Dulce de leche. Old timey campy goodness! –


9 Random Questions

1. Coleman 2 Burner Stove? Century 2 burner stove, flame length is more adjustable than the Coleman.

2. Carp? Carp season around here starts in June and goes to September when the trout fishing gets good again. I like to fish for capr on the flats, standing in ankle deep water and casting carp that are tailing in knee deep water. Around here we call 'em carp, capr, basalt bonefish, desert drum, and Greater Inland Golden Northwest Tarpon.

3. Camp Chairs? Camp Chair for sure, I like the kind that collapses sorta like an accordion and has a cup holder. It's gotta have a built in cup holder to put your beer in. I hope that they invent one with two cup holders someday; I'd invest money in the company that gets the two cup holder camp chair to market first. Two is better than one.

4. PBR or Coors? PBR, Coors is like rednecked hippies, we should have left them both in the 70's
5. Gold Bond, essential or extra? Zeasorb AF, Gold Bond is more of a Southern thing like headache powders and cutting the light on or off. You'll find three other strictures in my camp kitchen; Pepto, Ibuprofen and benedryl.

6. Cookie Monster Jacket? No Cookie Monster Jacket for me but Trouthole has 3 or 4 of them. He used to be a lounge singer in Reno and Patagonia's got an outlet store there.

7. Is Trouthole from this planet? Trouthole is from this planet, he's a Polach.

(editor- we had to send Trouthole 50 lbs of kielbasa, as a royalty, for using his name )


8. KOA- Good deal or one step below a trailer park? KOA is a bad deal most of the time. It's good to pull in there and take a shower when you’re between camps but other than that I stay away from the KOA's.

9. Drunken raccoons? Drunken Raccoons? I missed that one. We do have hungry coyotes around here though, they love chicken bones. Thanks dudes; that was a good time.

Hey, who’s hungry?

No comments: