Thursday, April 5, 2007

Green Jackets


We all go through phases. I've had two golf phases. One was when I was a teenager and all my buddies played golf to get out of the house and sip on barley pops. It was what we did for about two years along with working as "cart boys" at two courses. The other was when I was fresh out of drinking school(college) and my coworkers and I would go play after work and weekends. Then I joined a club for almost a year. Just damn....

Ike's Pond at Augusta National.....popping bug CENTRAL


Fishing never left my life during those dark phases. You could say it saved me. I found myself gazing at creeks and ponds while playing, wondering if the fishin' was any good. I would sometimes lose it, forget I was playing against a little white ball, and my foursome would yell urging me to continue. I've stared at water at the TPC Sawgrass, a US Open, a few PGA and Old Codger PGA events, and several Masters.

If CBS hasn't reminded you enough, it's Masters week. I hold a soft spot in my heart for this tournament because of it's Southern roots. It's a beautiful, surreal place. I've often wondered how good the fishing is on 16 or does Rae's Creek hold copious amounts of long-eared sunfish. I have heard the ponds around the Par 3 course are incredible. It's really the only golf I will watch all year. I can remember standing outside the clubhouse watching members and guests sipping Mint Juleps behind the ropes and wanting so desperately to join them. Conversations about small cap funds, timeshares on yachts, and the problems of trying to hire good help surely must echo this very day amongst the live oaks. Count me out. I would rather talk to folks at the boat ramp or flyshop. Conversations would consist of water release schedules for the local tailwater, if the bass are on bed, and where to get a boat anchor fabricated. I'm not bitter or jealous....I just see things with clarity now.

Is that a bass?

Sunday will be Easter. It will also hosts the final round of The Masters and the champion will don a green sport coat. I plan on watching the final round while I sip on a few barley pops with some buddies of mine. But before all that happens, I will get up real early and head to the river in hopes of hooking a stripe bass or two. That's when I feel closest to The Maker. I'll talk to him, tell him how much I appreciate the very thing I'll be waist deep in....the forecast calls for unseasonably cool weather....high of 57 and a low 38, so it looks like I'll be wearing my fishing jacket that day. Which happens to be green.

No comments: